The World Shall Judge Him to Be a Thing of Naught

1 Nephi 19:7–9




I know I have mentioned the book The Hiding Place in a previous post, but reading these scriptures from the Book of Mormon have brought it to mind once again. I was impressed with the family of Miss Ten Boom and their regard for a loving Heavenly Father. Not only did they fear God and desire to act in a manner that would be pleasing to Him, the description that was given of the people they associated with also loved God and His Son. In reading this I mentioned to my Hubby that we no longer live in a God fearing society. Gone are the days when the majority see their wrong actions as something that might bring the wrath of heaven down upon them. If the question was posed today "What think ye of Christ?" (Matt 22:42) would the answer be "I really don't think of Him at all."
Elder Neal A. Maxwell once said "Comparatively, brothers and sisters, it matters very little what people think of us, but it matters very much what we think of Him."
My days are busy with the daily tasks of caring for and worrying about a family. There are several enticing "things" of the world that also draw my attention (I have a slight addiction to Amazon, Apple products, Tiny Yorkies and good deals on ksl.com). My point is, I could do more to think of Him whose name I take upon myself every Sunday.
I am full of mistakes in life, but I make no mistake in saying that through Jesus Christ we can overcome the muddles of this mortal life. Through Him worlds were created (D&C 14:9) and miracles wrought, and through Him I can be transformed into the human being He sees me capable of being. A great article from a BYU devotional talks of Christ’s Grace being sufficient to transform us:
"Christ’s arrangement with us is similar to a mom providing music lessons for her child. Mom pays the piano teacher. Because Mom pays the debt in full, she can turn to her child and ask for something. What is it? Practice! Does the child’s practice pay the piano teacher? No. Does the child’s practice repay Mom for paying the piano teacher? No. Practicing is how the child shows appreciation for Mom’s incredible gift. It is how he takes advantage of the amazing opportunity Mom is giving him to live his life at a higher level. Mom’s joy is found not in getting repaid but in seeing her gift used—seeing her child improve. And so she continues to call for practice, practice, practice."
This was an analogy I could relate very well to. Not only did I gain understanding from this analogy but some of my daily guilt of not measuring up to perfection was swept away. Perfect I am not, but practicing I can do!
I love Christ, I know He lives! I know He will help me along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fine Tuning a Listening Ear

"If we acknowledge Him now, He will lovingly acknowledge and gladly admit us then!”

Friendship